Thursday, August 11, 2011

Generals force game 3

Generals 5 Townies 4 (8 innings)

Hamilton pullled off a dramatic 5-4 victory over Rockport on Wednesday night in 8 innings.  Rockport took a 4-3 lead in the top of the eight on a Connor Ressel pinch-hit solo-HR, but Hamilton responded with two runs in the bottom half to force a deciding Game 3 in the series.

The Generals took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third on a Jered Stewart solo-HR that reached the pond in left-center.  The score remained the same until the top of the fifth when Rockport got to Hamilton starter Matt Greeke (8IP, 9H, 4R, 3ER, 3BB, 3K) for three runs.  Tommy Robertson led off the frame with a double which was followed two batters later by an intentional walk to Brent Currier.  The next batter, Dan Greel,  delivered a single through the shortstop hole to tie the game.  Emerson walked to load the bases and Derek Osmond was then hit by a pitch to give the Townies the lead.  Up next, Chuck Anderson hit a comebacker which Greeke threw to the plate to record the second out of the inning.  However, the throw to first in an attempt to record to double play struck Anderson allowing Emerson to score putting the Townies up 3-1 after four and a half.

Hamilton responded quickly by tying the game in the bottom of the fifth.  Justin Tilley led off with a single down the third base line and Stewart drew a walk putting runners at first and second with nobody out.  Jim Maloney then drilled a two-strike curveball to the gap in left-center for a RBI double, with Stewart stopping at third.  At this point, Brent Currier relieved the starter, Osmond.  Two batters later, Reggie Maidment tied the game with a sacrifice fly to left.

Greeke and Currier breezed through the sixth and seventh innings, sending the game to extra innings.  With one out in the top of the eight, Ressel gave Rockport a 4-3 lead with a pond shot to left center.  However, Hamilton would not go down without a fight.  Maidment led off the bottom of the 8th with a bullet to third that ate up the third baseman for a single.  After Maidment advanced to second on an errant pickoff throw, Mark Ruggiero delivered a clutch two-strike hit to left center putting runners at the corners with nobody out.  Currier settled down and got the next batter to pop to first for the first out.  The first pitch to the next batter, Devin Keller, was in the dirt and got to the backstop allowing Maidment to score, tying the game 4-4.  Luke Painchaud, running for Ruggiero, was off with the pitch and hustled all the way to third on the play.  With the infield in and one out, Keller then hit a chopper between third and short, which the Rockport thirdbaseman fielded after ranging far to his left.  The throw to first was wild allowing Painchaud to trot home with the winning run.

Robertson and Greel had two hits apiece for Rockport while Ruggiero contributed two hits for Hamilton.  The series will be decided tomorrow night at Evans field.