Monday, July 11, 2016

Mariners 10 Townies 9 - (9 innings)

For the second night in three days the Rockport Townies and Manchester-Essex Mariners met at Evans Field in Rockport. In a game that lasted almost 3 hours and had multiple lead changes, the Mariners defeated the Townies 10 to 9 in extra innings.

The Mariners jumped on Rockport Starter James Parisi early for 3 runs in the top of the 1st on hits by Caulin Rogers (3-4), Rory Gentile and Mike Cain (3-6, 6 RBI). The Townies answered back in the bottom of the 3rd with 3 runs off RBI hits by Alex Webb and Keady Segal. Parisi settled down and held the Mariners scoreless until the 4th when Cain put the Mariners up 5 to 3 on a ground rule double.

The Townies answered right back in the bottom half of the 4th with 2 runs on 2 consecutive sacrifice fly balls by Webb and Bryan Lentz.

The Townies relived Parisi in the 5th following two singles off the bats of Peter Clark and Rogers. Clark came around to score on a Max Nesbit sacrifice fly to deep left center giving the Mariners a 6 to 5 lead. In the bottom half of the 5th, Connor Douglass put the Townies back on top 7 to 6 with a 2 RBI single. Townies reliever Shawn Hull shut the Mariners down until the top of the 7th, when an error and 2 walks lead to another pitching change for the Townies. Jason Vizena came in with no outs, bases loaded and limited the Mariners to 1 run, a Nesbit sac fly.

The Townies had runners in scoring position with 1 out in both the 7th and 8th innings, but Mariners reliever Peter Clark was able to escape both situations.

There were 2 outs in the top of the 9th, with runners on 1st & 2nd and with the score tied at 7. The Townies intentionally walked Gentile to load the bases for Cain. Cain fell behind 0 & 2 to Townies reliever Jason Vizena, but Cain was able to battle back and line one up the middle for a 2 run single to put the Mariners up 9 to 7. John Wilcox added an insurance RBI single that would prove to be necessary as the Townies didn't go quietly in the bottom half.

Douglass lead off the 9th with a 10 pitch at bat that lead to a line drive single to right field. Next stepped up Mike Muniz, the big first baseman crushed a Mike Gibbon fastball into the center field trees to make the score 10 to 9. An error on a shallow outfield pop fly lead to another base runner for the Townies with no outs. However, Gibbon was able to shut down the Townies the rest of the way, leaving the tying run on 3rd.

Clark picked up the win for the Mariners with 4 solid innings of relief.